Subject: Re: [boost] 1.43 build broken on MSVC 8.0
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-22 21:48:35

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 7:34 AM, Gevorg Voskanyan <v_gevorg_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Rene Rivera wrote:
>> On 5/22/2010 7:24 AM, Gevorg Voskanyan wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> > "Standalone. Boost.Build's only dependency is a C compiler, so it's
>> > easy to setup. You can even include all of Boost.Build in your
>> > project. Boost.Build does not depend on C++ Boost in any way."
>> >
>> > Copied from http://www.boost.org/boost-build2/index.html
>> >
>> > Also, I now remember reading this a while ago:
>> > https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/milestone/Boost.Jam%204.0.0
>> >
>> > Another thing to note is that building bjam from source is currently
>> > an *impressively* fast operation; that property would surely be lost
>> > had bjam been reimplemented based on Boost.Spirit. OTOH, as building
>> > of bjam itself is relatively infrequent, I would trade the speed of
>> > building bjam for the speed of building my projects *with* bjam any
>> > day.
>>
>> I've just about changed my mind on those two counts.. Precisely because
>> of that *runtime* speed tradeoff.
>
> Very interesting... I'd very much like to see Boost.Build speed improved. So if there is anything I can do to help achieving that, I'll be happy to contribute!

Well as a pure interesting-idea type thing, perhaps a toybjam project,
just to see if we could get any runtime power/speed in exchange for
compile-time. Can add new abilities such as multi-threaded to scan
multiple directories at the same time, among other features. May not
ever be used, but in any case it would make for a fascinating case
project for Spirit and maybe LLVM too.