Subject: Re: [boost] ryppl development (was: Re: Trunk tests broken)
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-02 22:12:15

At Wed, 2 Jun 2010 22:17:53 +0000 (UTC),
Tomas Puverle wrote:

> > Not me; everything under ryppl will (essentially) work that way. I
> > hope we'll do that.
>
> Speaking of ryppl, how ready is it, in your opinion, for prime time?

Not. What it can do right now (in addition to everything else that
pip already does):

* Accept a request to get a project, optionally a specific version
* Look up a project in the project index (a simple website).
* Find its versions based on tags in the repo
* Read its metadata to find its dependencies (and their version
  requirements)
* Recursively get the right versions of all the dependencies (subject
  to some limitations ATM: http://bitbucket.org/ianb/pip/issue/119)

> I think I've had plenty of feedback on the proposed endian facility
> and would not mind being a guinea pig for developing a library from
> scratch under ryppl.

My suggestion: get yourself a GitHub account if you don't already have
one, and do your development in Git. If you don't mind developing
against recent but not-quite-up-to-date Boost, you could follow
http://ryppl.org/gettingstarted.html and use CMake. That would give
you a very good approximation to the experience of developing “under
ryppl.” The fact that you can have that experience without actually
using the ryppl tool should be good news—it means that ryppl is mostly
made up of things we won't have to maintain :-)

> Do you think I'm going to run into trouble getting things integrated
> with the boost SVN (well, that of course is making a huge assumption
> that the library will get accepted, but that's besides the point).

If you're willing to learn to use Git and git-svn, I don't see why
you'd have any trouble.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing