Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] home_directory_path
From: Stephan T. Lavavej (stl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-20 14:59:15

[Giovanni Piero Deretta]
> USERPROFILE on my Windows machine points to <root>\Users\<username>.
> This is pretty much the only dir by default where my normal user id
> has write permission. This is where Documents, Desktop, Favorites,
> Appdata user directories are. Is there any reason *not* to use
> USERPROFILE on Vista or later?

I haven't followed this thread closely, but I know that this kind of thing is tricky.

If someone could explain, very concisely and precisely, what kind of directory is desired, I can forward the question to our Windows API internal mailing list. Hopefully, someone knowledgeable about the Windows API (i.e. not me) will reply with what directory you want, and exactly how to get it (I know that both can be tricky; the answer may also vary between OS versions).

Stephan T. Lavavej
Visual C++ Libraries Developer