Subject: Re: [boost] [SQL-Connectivity] Is Boost interested in CppDB?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-14 08:45:23

On 12/14/2010 7:07 AM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Artyom<artyomtnk_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, but more specifically I should have asked, does your library
>>> natively support wide strings (std::wstring) and handle the conversion
>>> from std::wstring to the appropriate UTF-8 encoding in narrow strings
>>> API's or the native multi-byte string APIs of the libraries?
>>
>> No, as you don't need "wide" strings to use Unicode and actually wide
>> strings are not native ones for almost every database.
>>

> Okay. So that means people using std::wstring have to deal with
> converting to UTF-8 encoded std::string on their own. Sounds like a
> pain in Windows defaulted to use std::wstring in applications. :/

Converting between Unicode encodings should be a separate library
anyway. Was there not someone working on such a cross-platform library
for Boost ? What happened to it ? Was it scrapped because of possible
Unicode support in C++0x ?

I apologize for taking this thread off-topic but I think that any
library using a particular Unicode encoding for its strings should be
exempt from the criticism that it does not have functionality dealing
with converting between Unicode encodings.