Subject: Re: [boost] status of sp_counted_base_solaris.hpp
From: Graham Bennett (graham-boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-10 17:33:47

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:29:06PM +0200, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Graham Bennett wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm interested in getting boost::shared_ptr to use atomic ops on
>> Solaris. I notice there is an implementation using the OS-provided
>> atomics in boost/detail/sp_counted_base_solaris.hpp, but it doesn't
>> seem to be included. According to this thread:
>
>> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2006/07/107144.php, it seems the
>> reason might be that it wasn't possible to come up with a proper
>> preprocessor condition to include it on the right versions of Solaris.
>
> What implementation does your platform currently pick? There is also
> sp_counted_base_gcc_sparc.hpp, which does use atomic operations.

Hi Peter,

On my platform (Solaris 10 on x86 with Sun Studio 12), it picks
sp_counted_base_spin.hpp. Unfortunately there is no actual spinlock
implementation picked for this platform either, so it ends up with a
plain pthread_mutex_lock/unlock, which is not ideal.

I need to stick with Studio for other reasons, so unfortunately gcc is
not an option.

Thanks for the response,

Graham

--