Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Review: Build
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-16 09:45:17

----- Original Message ----

Good point.. Why bjam does not warn?

> line 132: s/need/needs/ . Also it can be equivalently replaced with just:
>EXIT
>
> "error: Boost.Locale needs either iconv or ICU library to be built." ;
>
> line 200: doesn't posix backend work for BSDs other than darwin?

No only Mac OS X (and I think Darwin) and Linux support this.

It is relatively new standard POSIX 2008.

> line 283: <link>shared:<define>BOOST_LOCALE_DYN_LINK=1 should be present in
> usage requirements too. The same applies to <threading>multi as well.

Ok

> lines 275, 282: what's the reason for commenting build_options and having
> <conditional>@configure instead?
Old code should be removed

> line 288: Being a vim user myself I appreciate this, but in general tabs are
>not
>
> allowed in code per Boost's development policy. Users of other editors would
>not
>
> be happy with tabs here :)

Actually it says use spaces instead of tabs and use tabs of 4...
This line saves me lots of headache all over the code.

> General remarks:
>
> As a Boost.Build user I would see it very beneficial when using Boost.Locale
>
> be able to have ICU build from source with BB just like the other 3rd party
> libraries commonly are. For it to work Boost.Locale Jamfile can check if a
> project /icu is available, and if so use /icu//icu as source and skip ICU
> configuration checking together with options for linking to prebuilt ICU.
> I can prepare and propose a patch for this if that scheme is OK with you.

By no means.

ICU is very-very complex library that has its own autotools based
build system that by no means can be easily (if at all) ported
to BBv2.

I have enough bad times with BB building a relatively
simple library Boost.Locale...

> Examples and performance benchmarks should have Jamfiles too.

Good point.

> Gevorg

Thanks,
  Artyom