Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Request Feedback for Boost.Ustr Unicode String Adapter
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-09 05:09:38

Hi,

I'm reading the documentation and I must say it's very clear and easy to
understand (at least for someone who did follow the recent discussions about
the subject on this mailing list).

Minor error : missing '>' in
http://crf.scriptmatrix.net/ustr/ustr/unicode_string_adapter.html (String
Concatenation)

unicode_string_adapter< std::vector< char16_t > second_string = USTR("你好");

Also, in the same section, maybe adding informations about potential stream
operators (I don't see them so far) might help?

if you have the chance
> to go back in time and restart your project from scratch, are you
> willing to use Boost.Ustr in your library APIs and do you think that
> it could have solved the Unicode problems you're having right now?

>From the documentation, that library seems to solve the problem as by
several boost authors. However, real-world usage and experimentation would
help figuring out if there is any important flaw in the design.

As a boost user, I find it interesting even for my non-library projects, but
I wouldn't expect all boost libraries to expose encoded strings in their
interfaces. Maybe just Boost.Locale and Boost.FileSystem.

If I can find time in the coming weeks, I'll try to use it in a prototype
and provide feedbacks.

Joël Lamotte