Subject: Re: [boost] [context] ready
From: GOODHART, TAYLOR (TAYLOR_GOODHART_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-08 12:22:15

Hi there,

        I noticed this project and got really excited. Hopefully it
won't meet the same fate as the coroutine library. Some comments:

Pros:
        1.) Impressive performance. Did you write some assembly for each
platform to avoid having to swap out the signal masks and floating point
context?
        2.) Stack guard. This would be a huge win for me. Safety is
always good.
        3.) C++0x idioms. I'm glad to see movable being used.

Cons:
        1.) Void * argument passing. Perhaps there's some limitation
that requires this. If so, then I'd be curious to read about it in the
Rationale section. Even then, some syntactical sugar to hide the static
cast may not be bad.
        2.) Function pointers only? It looks like the library only
accepts function pointers, not bound functions, functors, or lambdas. I
suspect this is related to the fact that makecontext() accepts raw
function pointers. Nevertheless, I've come to expect the ability to pass
an arbitrary "callable" argument to boost libraries. If this is
unreasonable, then I'd be curious to learn why in the Rationale section.

Great work! Again, I'm really excited about the potential here,
Taylor