Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] feature request priority
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-21 16:05:06

Le 21/12/11 20:02, Stewart, Robert a écrit :
> Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:
>> here they are a list of 26 feature requests for Boost.Thread. The
>> features are classified as high, middle and low cost (form my point of
>> view of course)
>>
>> I would like to know which features would you like to find on the next
>> release. Please could you choose 3 features and if possible one for each
>> category, the idea been to provide 1 high, 1 middle and 2 low features
>> for the next release.
> OK, here are my picks:
>
>> High
>> #5150<https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/5150>
>> boost::thread does not print or return the error value when
>> creating a thread fails.
>> Middle
>> #3696<https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/3696> Boost
>> Thread library lacks any way to set priority of threads
>> #5173<https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/5173>
>> boost::this_thread::get_id is very slow
>
>> Low
>> #1850<https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/1850> request
>> for unlock_guard (and/or unique_unlock) to compliment
>> lock_guard/unique_lock
>> #2361<https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2361>
>> thread_specific_ptr: nature of the key, complexity and
>> rationale
> I know I picked to Middle-ranked issues, but both looked valuable. If I must choose, I'd prefer 5173 ATM.
Hi,

thanks for your input even if you transgressed the rules ;-) I will take
it in account in order to prioritize the feature requests.

Respect to

#5150<https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/5150>
boost::thread does not print or return the error value when
creating a thread fails.

I planed to implement it via

#6230 <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6230> Follows the
exception reporting mechanism as defined in the c++11

and
#3696 <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/3696> Boost Thread
library lacks any way to set priority of threads
via

#2741 proposal to manage portable and non portable thread attributes
<https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2741>

What do you think?

Best,
Vicente