Subject: Re: [boost] How to make tests building faster?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-21 20:49:36

Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> I'm interested in your practice here.
> How do you do the "changing the directory of the serialization"?
> Do you copy and overwrite, use symlinks?

My whole boost/release tree is connect to the boost SVN system.
There is an SVN command which let change the directory to another
SVN branch. I use tortoise SVN gui so I don't remember the exact
command - it might be switch. Hint, make sure you have everything
checked in before you do this.

> Your approach combined with John's suggestion to use PCH should be a
> nice time saver.

It is a time saver. But it's much more than that. It changes the
whole game. Now I'm not coupled to any quirks/experements
in the trunk. And I can be almost 100 % sure that when
I check into the trunk - then move my changes to release there
will be almost never be a problem. This isn't hype. This has
saved me tons of agravation.