Subject: Re: [boost] [hash] regular behaviour of hash function for double values
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-01 12:15:48

On Wednesday, February 01, 2012 10:57:18 Howard Hinnant wrote:

> As a judgement call, I calculated that I would have *many* more clients who
> are casual users of the std::unordered containers, defaulting most options
> such as the hash function, than I would have clients interested in using
> std::hash<scalar> in their own containers, or in other places a hash
> function might be useful.

Thank you for your careful answer. As I understand, in order to compensate the
std::hash simplicity you do additional hashing (bit mixing or modulus) in the
container. May I ask, have you considered the other approach - to make the
container simpler but add bit mixing to std::hash? Why you chose not to follow
this path?