Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Julian Gonggrijp (j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-10 10:01:59

Julian Gonggrijp wrote:

> Mika Heiskanen wrote:

>>> This doesn't fit in my small brain when I try to imagine it. Sorry :(
>>> I guess it's time people on both sides fire their slide editors so that I
>>> (and hopefully others) can have a better view of the problem and
>>> the solutions
>>
>> This has pictures:
>>
>> http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
>
> A side-by-side visual comparison would probably be a good idea. I'm
> working on such a picture, I hope to send it tomorrow.

As promised:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3512486/boost_branching_model.pdf (82 kB)

Note (1): my depiction of the current Boost workflow might be
inaccurate. If you see a way to improve the image, please go ahead or
let me know what needs to be changed.

Note (2): to assist those who might want to make derived works, I also
made the original SVG file available. Please note that the work is
licensed under CC BY-SA (refer to the file for a URL).
The file may contain parts that are encoded in extensions to SVG that
are specific to my editor (Inkscape); if the file doesn't work with
your own editor, let me know and I'll produce a "neutral" version.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3512486/boost_branching_model.svg (119 kB)

Note (3): while this image helps to explain my point in [1], it turns
out from [2] that I didn't actually address Daniel James' point. I'll
return to the testing issue in a new reply to [2].

HTH,
-Julian

1. http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2012/02/190257.php
2. http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2012/02/190269.php