Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Julian Gonggrijp (j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-08 04:37:13

Andreas Pokorny wrote:

> Am 7. März 2012 20:48 schrieb Daniel James <dnljms_at_[hidden]>:
>>>
>>> This is a big problem with all software these days
>>
>> More so with git than its rivals.
>>

> One key advantage of git over its rivals is that as soon as you get to
> pick git as
> a version system you lose all the git trolls that tell you to use git. No other
> version system can do that!

+1

> But seriously I prefer a magic tool box that does everything you think
> of and as soon
> as you find something uncomfortable a short time looking around yields
> a comfortable
> solution.

This, and in all honesty I think git is at least as well-documented
as svn. Both have an online help function; in addition, git has
extensive and well-organised man pages.

With a good tutorial like Git Immersion [1] you should be good to go
in little time, all the other tiny things will come with time. If the
thought of not knowing all those tiny things in advance worries you,
reading Pro Git [2] should be somewhat reassuring.

The git-flow tool that is available to automate the gitflow branching
model is less well documented, but fortunately there's not much to
know about it. There is a more-or-less complete overview of the
subcommands and their options on their GitHub wiki [3], as well as a
very terse online help command.

-Julian

1. http://gitimmersion.com/
2. http://progit.org/