Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Topher Cooper (topher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-08 13:31:55

I haven't seen anyone mention what seems to me the most obvious
advantage of "git" for a large collaborative project like Boost:

It is easy for a small group to clone their own version of the
repository somewhere accessible (like git-hub of course, but any
participant's development machine with the right Internet connection
will do, as would something like dropbox) and work there until they are
ready to expose it to wider audience. Similarly, a project started in
git -- not necessarily with Boost in mind -- can potentially be merged
into the central repository, after being edited to meet standards,
complete with its history (less likely, of course, without some
attention paid to Boost).

This would be particularly useful when work is "speculative". People
who want to work on something that they think might not work out are not
discouraged from proper source control or integration because of fear of
embarrasment because it turns out to have been a "stupid idea" -- either
regarding the whole attempt, or regarding some dead end investigations.
  My experience is that innovation is frequently helped by some privacy
in the early stages.

Topher