Subject: Re: [boost] question about C++11 guidelines
From: Doug Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-03 12:27:31

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Say I'm rewriting an existing Boost library and targeting C++11 users. I
> plan to ship C++03 and C++11 versions of my library side-by-side, so
> back-compat isn't an issue for the new code. Is there a reason to prefer
> using Boost's versions of utilities like enable_if, type traits,
> integral constant wrappers (e.g. mpl::int_), tuples, etc., over the
> now-standard ones?
>
> I'm leaning toward using std:: where I can, and falling back on Boost's
> versions only when there is a compelling reason.

Boost in C++11 should use the std:: facilities.

Boost provides existing practice and reference implementations to aid
in the standardization process. But we don't actually realize the
benefits of standardizing Boost components if we never move off our
own reference implementations. If there is a problem with a vendor's
implementation of these std:: facilities, we should help that vendor
get the implementation right.

  - Doug