Subject: Re: [boost] [smart_ptr] error with nullptr_t
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-18 23:47:50

On 12/11/2012 6:31 PM, Peter Dimov wrote:
> John Bytheway wrote:
>> I believe std::nullptr_t could be replaced with decltype(nullptr), which
>> would allow this support to be offered without standard library
>> assistance.
>
> Your belief is correct, but I deliberately didn't mention this option
> for aesthetic reasons. :-)
>
> If we're going to support this configuration, I think that the sensible
> thing to do would be for Boost.Config to define std::nullptr_t,
> std::move, std::forward, and whatever else is missing and necessary.
> However... I'm not sure that Boost.Config would be able to detect it.

I just got bit by this. For the record, I don't think it's
Boost.Config's business to be defining std::move, std::forward, etc.
Another possible alternative would be to do this:

namespace boost
{
  typedef decltype(nullptr) nullptr_t;
}

someplace, maybe in a new Boost.Utility header. Then use
boost::nullptr_t instead of std::nullptr_t.

Regardless, (speaking as a release manager) I'd like to see this
addressed one way or the other since it's a breaking change.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing