Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Release candidate 1
From: Darren Garvey (darren.garvey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-10 22:24:44

Hi Andrey,

It's good to see this library steaming steadily towards trunk. I've been
looking forward to this happening.

I'm glad you've added the trivial logger. As big as that warning is in the
documentation, it would be more reassuring to see that this logger supports
lazy evaluation of the logging expression if the example demonstrated it.
eg.

// Note: some_very_expensive_operation() won't be called unless debug
logging is enabled.
BOOST_LOG_TRIVIAL(debug) << "A debug severity message" <<
some_very_expensive_operation();

I don't see a way to compile out certain levels of log messages using
compile-time flags with the syntax Boost.Log uses. Many other logging
libraries choose to put the logging expression as part of the macro, which
makes it easy to support this usage pattern. Have you considered supporting
this?

I'm going to try this out properly tomorrow.

Cheers,

Darren