Subject: [boost] Live read-only GIT mirrors of Boost trunk SVN
From: Niall Douglas (ndouglas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-25 12:49:42

The live GIT mirrors of Boost trunk SVN have become a bit stale in recent
months:

https://github.com/ryppl/boost-svn, long time favourite of many, now 4
months stale.

https://github.com/Beman/boost-trunk-git-svn is now 2 months stale.

https://github.com/alexanderkjeldaas/boost-mirror is fresh, but has no
branches nor tags.

They all generally use git-svn, which tends to be brittle and not translate
commits perfectly unfortunately e.g. SVN eol properties and other such
metadata. So I decided to try out a new Subversion <=> Git mirroring tool,
SubGit v2.0 EAP (http://subgit.com/eap/) whose author very kindly gave me a
free open source licence and the result is at:

https://github.com/ned14/boost-trunk

All branches and tags, as far as I can tell, are mirrored correctly. I've
set a cron job every 24 hours. Theoretically if we had an authors mapping
file it would work in the opposite direction too i.e. be read-write.

My next task is to live mirror a github repo into Boost Sandbox. Currently
SubGit segfaults on this due to the complex SVN properties auto-translation
which requires a specially marked up .gitattributes, but the author is very
keen to fix the problem. In theory then it ought to just work.

Any mistakes in my Boost mirror, or any problems, or even thoughts are
gratefully received.

Niall