Subject: Re: [boost] Live read-only GIT mirrors of Boost trunk SVN
From: Niall Douglas (ndouglas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-13 17:15:04

> on Thu May 09 2013, Niall Douglas <ndouglas-AT-blackberry.com> wrote:
> > Just to be clear and for the record, I have no compelling arguments,
> > no plan for migration, and I am in no way criticizing your work, your
> > leadership, nor suggesting the throwing away of any planning or
> > coding. I apologise unreservedly if anything in my words appeared that
> > way. I am absolutely sure that you have given this the very deepest of
> > thought and I - as always actually - trust your judgment. I am simply
confused.

> OK. I don't know how to un-confuse you, though, sorry.
> [snip]
> Unfortunately for my workload, the community begs to differ.

The lightbulb has switched on: I had been confused because I had thinking
the migration was based on technical arguments. I now realize the arguments
are mostly non-technical, so I am now deconfused. Thanks for the
illumination.

> > We can talk about this at C++ Now next week, but if we were to
> > coordinate our efforts and I have definite approval and support from
> > Boost SC, I have no objection to volunteering for this.
>
> I don't see what difference approval from the steering committee makes.
> If you think it would be helpful, you can go ahead.

A two way mirror would need changes to the main Boost SVN installation.
Changes which could lose data and cause outages. It's not something I'd
proceed with without unanimous support, especially for moral support if data
loss did occur.

> > That probably is unacceptable to you given your apparent plans.
>
> Yeah, we want to get this thing over with. Thanks for the suggestions,
though.

I understand entirely now. Sorry it took a while. Do get in touch if you
need it.

Niall

---
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
BlackBerry Inc.