Subject: Re: [boost] boost-1.54 needs a bugfix!
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-02 08:17:43

On 2 July 2013 09:19, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Unless it's a showstopper, I'd say let 1.54 ship as is. And this is from
> someone who also failed to get a last minute patch applied (blame my gall
> bladder for knocking me over at the wrong moment!).

Oh, nasty. I hope all's well now.

> Assuming the move to git is to take place before the next release, and
> assuming that's going to be a longer than normal schedule

I don't know what's happening with git, but we have a 4 months
scheduled for this release regardless.

> I'd suggest that
> we either:
>
> * Slip out 1.55 on a shorter than usual cycle (no new libraries?) to be
> completed before the move to git begins, or...
> * Put out a 1.54.1 with bug fixes only on a short 2-3 week cycle, again
> before the move to git.

We can at least put patches up on the site. Recently I've been adding
links to the release notes page, although I want to do something
better.

A couple of times we tried creating maintenance branches for releases,
but they never saw much use. But at least they're a decent way to
gather patches together. They were at:

https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/maintenance/

With git it should be easier for people to add patches to a stable
release branch, although I'm not sure how we'll use them.