Subject: Re: [boost] [log] MSVC 9 build hangs
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-11 09:53:49

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Tom Kent <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Ok, so I just looked at this some more and discovered something that I had
> previously overlooked.
>
> It isn't the tests that are timing out, it is the *linker*. I'm assuming
> this is due to the rediculously large library sizes for log on windows. If
> we can't substanitally trim down the size of this library, then we should
> probably look for a way to increase the test timeout value (hopefully just
> for this linker step and nothing else).

I did some refactoring to reduce library sizes several weeks ago. The
static library sizes went down ~50%, AFAIR. Ironically, I don't remember
seeing such test failures before the refactoring. I'm not sure I will be
able to shrink it any further without disabling portions of the library or
building some customized version just for tests. And I'd like to avoid it
since the tests will be run on a non-default version, which will not
be what is shipped to users.

I tried building the library and tests on my local machine many times and
I've never seen linking to take 5 minutes. I have another setup though. Did
you notice any other abnormal behavior, such as memory growth or swapping
or compiler/linker crashes maybe? Does linking ever complete?