Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Modularizing Boost (modularization)
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-05 01:42:50

On 5/11/2013 00:35, Quoth Peter Dimov:
> No, I wasn't referring to C++14, as type traits are in C++11 (and were
> in TR1 before that.) My point was that Boost components that have been
> accepted into the standard are already obsolete, so investing any
> significant effort for them might not pay off.

Interesting that you say that.

A while back there was a discussion in my team whether (now that the
current release of applications are being built in a C++11 compiler) the
code should continue to use boost::shared_ptr as before, or mix in
std::shared_ptr in newer code, or do a global search-n-replace. (And
similarly for some of the threading stuff.)

Mixing was quickly ruled out as too confusing and painful (due to
incompatibilities). And we eventually decided not to search-n-replace
because (a) the two implementations are not entirely identical, so this
might introduce bugs; (b) continuing to use the Boost version makes it
easier to backport changes to older releases that still use C++98
compilers; (c) presumably the Boost version would be bugfixed or
feature-enhanced in advance of the std version, or internally fall back
to the std version where compatible.

Do you think that some of those assumptions are flawed?