Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Modularizing Boost (modularization)
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-05 13:14:37

On 5 Nov 2013 at 19:42, Gavin Lambert wrote:

> A while back there was a discussion in my team whether (now that the
> current release of applications are being built in a C++11 compiler) the
> code should continue to use boost::shared_ptr as before, or mix in
> std::shared_ptr in newer code, or do a global search-n-replace. (And
> similarly for some of the threading stuff.)
>
> Mixing was quickly ruled out as too confusing and painful (due to
> incompatibilities). And we eventually decided not to search-n-replace
> because (a) the two implementations are not entirely identical, so this
> might introduce bugs; (b) continuing to use the Boost version makes it
> easier to backport changes to older releases that still use C++98
> compilers; (c) presumably the Boost version would be bugfixed or
> feature-enhanced in advance of the std version, or internally fall back
> to the std version where compatible.
>
> Do you think that some of those assumptions are flawed?

At my last employer before I was let go, we seriously investigated
having a clang AST parser find instances of Boost use and replace
them with C++11 STL use instead. In fact, boost::shared_ptr<> =>
std::shared_ptr<> was exactly the test case I was developing against.

We were aiming to remove the many duplicate copies of Boost we were
shipping which was unnecessary because most of them were being using
in lieu of C++11. If in your case you're happy with the Boost
implementation, and you'd be importing Boost anyway because you're
using parts the C++11 STL doesn't provide, I'd just stick with Boost.
Not changing code = not introducing new bugs.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/