Subject: Re: [boost] sqlpp11: SQL for C++
From: Christof Donat (cd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-12 01:13:34

Hi,

Am Montag, 11. November 2013, 23:16:06 schrieb Roland Bock:
> I see use cases for printf and regex for instance, where the user
> provides a textual representation of something at compile time. In those
> cases, compile time validation of strings is a wonderful tool, and I
> have highest respect for it.
>
> But in the context of sqlpp11 I don't see how or why I should use it?

When you have SQL with its original syntax in your source code, you can
copy/paste between your source code and your database tool. That way you can
develop your queries iteratively. Compile time string parsing then adds
compile time syntax checks, type safety and a intuitive interface to access
the columns in the result set by using your library.

> The library is constructing the query string at runtime. There is no
> string to be validated at compile time. This is a major difference to
> most other C++ SQL libraries.

The huge strength of it is to me, that it provides all that syntax and type
checking and the intuitive access to the result sets. Its weakness is, that I
have to translate my queries from SQL syntax to another similar, but not equal
syntax when interactively working with my SQL tools. That could be resolved by
adding compile time string parsing on top of your library.

Christof

--
okunah gmbh i.L.                             Software nach Maß
Zugspitzstr. 211                                 www.okunah.de