Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [modular boost] Switchover schedule proposal
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-12 00:36:16

Daniel Pfeifer <daniel_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> We wouldn't have a problem of unreferenced commits if we hid the refs
>> instead of deleting them.
>
> I don't suggest deleting any branches in the libraries. I suggest
> allowing maintainers to delete branches in their libraries.

But why? They don't hurt anything if they're available but hidden.

> Therefore, we must assume some branches will get deleted.

Not if we ask that it not happen.

> In the superproject, we don't want to reference deleted branches from
> the libraries, so we delete all branches that might potenially
> reference a deleted branch from a subproject.

Then you delete all branches, because they all reference subproject
branches, and in your world, some subproject branch may be deleted.

> If we hide the branches in the superproject instead of deleting them,
> they still will be accessible, so we would still have the problem,
> don't you think?

Of course, if you let people delete the branches they reference, yes.

> If we hide the branches in the subprojects instead of... what? The
> only alternative here would be to not allow maintainers to delete old
> branches. I don't want to force anybody in this direction.

I don't see the problem. They'd merely be archived on GitHub. Nobody
would have to be the wiser.