Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Near future.. How do we deal with git-native libraries?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-02 03:21:49

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> As the owner of the Predef library which exists originally in github and
> not svn.. I'm wondering about some things for the near future (as in this
> coming week):
>
> 1. Where will the git repo live for a library? Will the repo need to stay
> in the boostorg organization?

Yes. The theory being that if a maintainer goes missing, Boost doesn't lose
control of the repo. Also, the thought was it would be easier to get going
that way even if eventually we figured out policy for repos not hosted by
boostorg.

> Or is it possible/desirable to use the
> existing repo that's part of my user account?

We need to have a discussion of this, but IIUC we could create the boostorg
repo for a new library by forking a github library such as yours. I
haven't given any thought to the pros and cons of that.

2. I notice that there's a ".gitattributes" file in the svn imported
> version of the Predef repo. Will I need to add that file to my actual
> Predef git repo? And if so, is there a single canonical version of that
> file I should use? And a followup.. In the future if that file changes,
> does it need to change for all repos consistently?

Good questions, but I don't know the plans for .gitattributes.

--Beman