Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Near future.. How do we deal with git-native libraries?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-02 10:39:13

On 2 Dec 2013 at 3:21, Beman Dawes wrote:

> 2. I notice that there's a ".gitattributes" file in the svn imported
> > version of the Predef repo. Will I need to add that file to my actual
> > Predef git repo? And if so, is there a single canonical version of that
> > file I should use? And a followup.. In the future if that file changes,
> > does it need to change for all repos consistently?
>
> Good questions, but I don't know the plans for .gitattributes.

I can speculate usefully :)

Every git repo should have a .gitattributes period to sanitise the
commits. Such a .gitattributes would look somewhat like the one
provided by Boost, so you might as well use that one.

Later on I think it very likely a script might scan all pull requests
to ensure their commits were made using the canonical Boost
.gitattributes, and if they weren't to refuse the pull request. I
would assume that sometime not long from now the .gitattributes for
all Boost git repos will be updated at once by Boost admin, so when
you go to push to the Boost fork of your repo, git will remind you to
merge updates and redo the push.

If of course you just use the Boost fork of the repo directly instead
of keeping a clone, if the above comes to pass you shouldn't need to
ever worry about .gitattributes being stale. I would assume that once
a library joins Boost, it would become normal to use the Boost copy,
not your own private copy, so the issue becomes moot.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/