Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Effect of "git checkout develop" on submodule?
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-02 13:09:12

On 2 December 2013 16:58, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>
>> On 2 December 2013 16:15, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> > If I do this:
>> >
>> > git clone --recursive git_at_[hidden]:boostorg/boost.git modular-boost
>> > cd modular-boost/libs/math
>> > git checkout develop
>> >
>> > What commit of math develop branch should be checked out?
>>
>> Won't it fail because there isn't a local develop branch?
>>

> No, works fine. For example,

Oh, I just tried it and git now creates a local branch if you try to
checkout a remote branch with no local copy. I don't think it used to
do that.

> D:\modular-boost\libs\math>cd ../system
>
> D:\modular-boost\libs\system>git checkout develop
> Previous HEAD position was 067ff61... Merge from trunk.
> Switched to branch 'develop'

You are checking out a local branch here, you need to merge or pull
the remote branch. You can tell when it's checking out a remote branch
because it says something like, "Branch develop set up to track remote
branch develop from origin."