Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Effect of "git checkout develop" on submodule?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-02 14:14:12

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 2 December 2013 16:58, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]
> >wrote:

> >> Won't it fail because there isn't a local develop branch?
> >>

> > No, works fine. For example,
>
> Oh, I just tried it and git now creates a local branch if you try to
> checkout a remote branch with no local copy. I don't think it used to
> do that.
>
> > D:\modular-boost\libs\math>cd ../system
> >
> > D:\modular-boost\libs\system>git checkout develop
> > Previous HEAD position was 067ff61... Merge from trunk.
> > Switched to branch 'develop'
>
> You are checking out a local branch here, you need to merge or pull
> the remote branch. You can tell when it's checking out a remote branch
> because it says something like, "Branch develop set up to track remote
> branch develop from origin."

OK, did this: "git checkout -B develop remotes/origin/develop"

Got the message you indicated.

Added an empty line to libs/system/test/Jamfile.v2
Committed.
Pushed.

All worked fine. You can see the commit on hihub boostorg/system develop
branch.

Tried the same thing with libs/math. It worked, and cleared the problem I
had been having with math develop branch.

At this point I thing we are ready to (cautiously) go live. Will post a
message accordingly.

Thanks,

--Beman