Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Near future.. How do we deal with git-native libraries?
From: Cox, Michael (mhcox_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-04 02:13:05

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Cox, Michael <mhcox_at_[hidden]
> >wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]>
> > wrote:

> boostorg/predef
> boostorg/predef.
> > > The
> > develop
> > >
> > > I believe the plan is for everyone to have write access to the
> > > repositories that they maintain and to update them themselves.
> > >
> > I was not aware of that. I expected the release manager(s) to only have
> > write access and library maintainers to submit pull requests to them. So
> > ignore my last few posts :-).
> >

> Only release managers have write access to the boost super-project. So they
> can still control quality in terms of what goes into official Boost
> releases. OTOH, Individual libraries can do their own releases whenever
> they want to. This decoupling is is part of why we hope that the Modular
> Boost structure will scale up to much larger numbers of libraries.

There may be a problem using submodules if library/tool developers don't
have write access to the boost super-project.

The "usual" process when using git submodules is that when making a commit
to a submodule, you also make a commit in the super-project to add a
submodule reference so that when anyone recursively clones or "submodule
update"'s, all the submodules point to the latest changes. Is Boost not
going to follow the "usual" process? If not, then developers need to know
that after doing the recursive clone, they need to run "git submodule
foreach git checkout develop" to point all the submodules to their latest
changes.

BTW, if the "usual" process is to be followed, I noticed libs/system and
libs/multi_index don't have submodule ref commits in boost.git for their
current HEADs. Also, noticed that tools/litre doesn't have a develop
branch.

Michael