Subject: Re: [boost] Git: maintaining super-project
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-04 01:35:33

On 04.12.2013 10:28, Vladimir Prus wrote:

>> As far as I understand, you don't have to create pull requests for
>> master and develop branches. The actual revision is pulled from
>> submodules automatically as you check out the monolithic boost (the
>> boostorg superproject). The pull requests might be needed during the
>> release cycle, if you want specific last minute changes pulled by the
>> release managers so that they get into release.
>
> Well, the superproject has references to specific revisions of each component. Or am I mistaken
> on this part?

Looks like I'm not. I did this:

        ghost_at_solid:~/Sources/boost-modular$ git checkout master
        M libs/program_options
        Switched to branch 'master'
        ghost_at_solid:~/Sources/boost-modular$ git submodule update --init
        Submodule path 'libs/program_options': checked out 'fb4f36f3eecbef1e3b4ace5b263e01d56e42d5c7'

This revision being checked out is what the current superproject repo specifies, which is 2 commits
behind master of boostorg/program_options library.

So, yes, without pull request, or manual updates, or some scripting, checking out the superproject
will not get either 'master' or 'develop' state of all libraries.

- Volodya