Subject: Re: [boost] Git: maintaining super-project
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-04 03:06:42

On 04.12.2013 11:32, Andrey Semashev wrote:

> I just checked out the super-project:
>
> git clone --recursive http://github.com/boostorg/boost.git modular-boost
>
> It actually said:
>
> Submodule path 'libs/program_options': checked out
> 'fb4f36f3eecbef1e3b4ace5b263e01d56e42d5c7'
>
> But after these commands I saw the newer revisions:
>
> cd modular-boost/libs/program_options
> git checkout master
> Switched to branch 'master'
>
> git log -1
> commit 9d7c9875265ec7fec03aabf18e3d53c3e5e1a46c
> Author: Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]>
> Date: Wed Dec 4 09:17:17 2013 +0400
>
> Remove tabs.
>
> I'm not sure what the "Submodule" line means, but it seems the
> repository is cloned with the newer revisions.

That's because git does complete repository clone. But then, it checks out the revision
specified for each submodule (see 'git ls-tree master:libs' the the exact specification).
I don't think it can automatically checkout symbolic reference (such as 'master'), so
either we need to document things like 'git submodule foreach' use, or use some scripting
to update submodule references periodically.

- Volodya