Subject: Re: [boost] Git: maintaining super-project
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-04 02:32:00

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 04.12.2013 10:28, Vladimir Prus wrote:
>
>>> As far as I understand, you don't have to create pull requests for
>>> master and develop branches. The actual revision is pulled from
>>> submodules automatically as you check out the monolithic boost (the
>>> boostorg superproject). The pull requests might be needed during the
>>> release cycle, if you want specific last minute changes pulled by the
>>> release managers so that they get into release.
>>

>> Well, the superproject has references to specific revisions of each
>> component. Or am I mistaken
>> on this part?
>

> Looks like I'm not. I did this:
>
> ghost_at_solid:~/Sources/boost-modular$ git checkout master
> M libs/program_options
> Switched to branch 'master'
> ghost_at_solid:~/Sources/boost-modular$ git submodule update --init
> Submodule path 'libs/program_options': checked out
> 'fb4f36f3eecbef1e3b4ace5b263e01d56e42d5c7'
>
> This revision being checked out is what the current superproject repo
> specifies, which is 2 commits
> behind master of boostorg/program_options library.
>
> So, yes, without pull request, or manual updates, or some scripting,
> checking out the superproject
> will not get either 'master' or 'develop' state of all libraries.

I just checked out the super-project:

  git clone --recursive http://github.com/boostorg/boost.git modular-boost

It actually said:

  Submodule path 'libs/program_options': checked out
'fb4f36f3eecbef1e3b4ace5b263e01d56e42d5c7'

But after these commands I saw the newer revisions:

  cd modular-boost/libs/program_options
  git checkout master
  Switched to branch 'master'

  git log -1
  commit 9d7c9875265ec7fec03aabf18e3d53c3e5e1a46c
  Author: Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]>
  Date: Wed Dec 4 09:17:17 2013 +0400

    Remove tabs.

I'm not sure what the "Submodule" line means, but it seems the
repository is cloned with the newer revisions. Maybe it just doesn't
checkout the latest revision by default. In that case I'd like it to
be fixed.