Subject: Re: [boost] Git permissions model
From: Daniel Pfeifer (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-04 15:53:32

2013/12/4 Agustín K-ballo Bergé <kaballo86_at_[hidden]>:
> On 04/12/2013 01:44 a.m., Vladimir Prus wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a couple of questions about the permission models that we use for
>> git.
>>
>> - To give somebody push access to the 'build' repository, I need to file
>> an
>> admin issue. Why can't I control access to the repository I maintain?
>> In fact, why I can't even edit repository description?
>

> +1 I believe library authors/maintainers should have admin access to their
> own repositories, and thus have direct control over the permissions granted
> to collaborators.

User accounts on GitHub work this way. The owner can add any number of
collaborators. Organization accounts work differently [1].
Repositories of an organization account don't have a particular owner.
Instead, repositories belongs to teams. Members of teams with admin
privileges can add members to their team, but they than have admin
privileges too.
We need to discuss whether this is what we want.

[1] https://help.github.com/articles/what-are-the-different-access-permissions