Subject: Re: [boost] Git permissions model
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-04 15:54:56

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions about the permission models that we use for
> git.
>
> - To give somebody push access to the 'build' repository, I need to file an
> admin issue. Why can't I control access to the repository I maintain?
> In fact, why I can't even edit repository description?

I think the answer to both questions is that you do not have "Owner"
permission. I was the Owner that handled your "build" permissions request,
and I'm just now learning how the GitHub "Team" permissions system works. I
need to verify that it is possible to give you "Owner" permission without
also giving it to all the other team members.

Please remember that several of us performing admin functions are totally
new to GitHub organization level account management and it is going to take
some time to come up to speed.

> - Suppose I find a random typo in library X. In SVN, I can just fix it
> within a minute.
> In Git, I would have to either ask for push access (which I think won't
> scale), or
> I need to fork the repo, to the change, and submit a pull request, which
> is equally
> cumbersome. Was not Git supposed to simplify things?

I've had exactly the same thoughts. I'm guessing there is some third way of
handling simple "drive-by" fixes, and we don't know what it is because of
unfamiliarity.

Other projects using git have almost certainly figured out an easy way to
handle "drive-by" fixes. We need to tap into that experience to find out
what works. In similar situations, a bit of googling around quickly turns
up blogs or stackoverflow solutions that are known to work.

--Beman