Subject: Re: [boost] [git] automatic ticket closing
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-04 18:53:57

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 4 December 2013 23:26, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > On 4 December 2013 22:40, Gavin Lambert <gavinl_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >> On 5/12/2013 10:57, Quoth Joaquin M Lopez Munoz:

> there
> >>

> >> I don't know about Trac, but with GitHub-based issues you can reference
> an
> >> issue by #number or commit via SHA and it will put the appropriate
> links in
> >> on both ends automagically. You can also use "closes #number" or "fixes
> >> #number" or a few other variations to automatically close the issue
> when the
> >> commit lands.
> >
> > https://help.github.com/articles/closing-issues-via-commit-messages
>
> I think the plan is to continue using trac issues for the immediate
> future. There is a git plugin available for it, so I assume we can
> continue using comments as before once that's set up.

That was definitely the plan.

But I'm using the GitHub issues system to process Admin requests for write
permissions, and that is altering my perceptions.

I think the same thing is happening as happened with Git itself. You can
speculate about whether A is better than B all you want, but actually using
something alters your perspective. If I had to put my finger on what is was
in the case of the issues lists, I would say the responsiveness of the
GitHub issue tracker. But whatever it is, something is making me want to
abandon the old trac issue tracker ASAP.

--Beman