Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Update submodules in boost.git
From: Daniel Pfeifer (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-05 00:37:42

2013/12/5 Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]>:
> Hi,
>
> I've just updated all the submodules in the main git repo. I'll try
> and do this daily for a little while, but we'll need to automate it.
> Preferably triggered by a hook so it's as close to instantaneous as
> possible. Any takers?

The purpose of modularisation was to allow a modular release process.
I suggest the following:

Each Boost library has its own release schedule.
When there is a new release of Boost library X, you point the
submodule in Boost/develop to X/master.
Tests are run on Boost/develop.
To make a new release of Boost, you merge the changes of Boost/develop
to Boost/master.

At any point in time, Boost/develop contains the latest released
versions of all Boost libraries. Boost/master contains the releases of
the Boost distribution: I.e. versions of Boost libraries that are
tested to play nice together.

Cheers, Daniel