Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Update submodules in boost.git
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-05 01:24:57

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Daniel Pfeifer <daniel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> 2013/12/5 Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just updated all the submodules in the main git repo. I'll try
>> and do this daily for a little while, but we'll need to automate it.
>> Preferably triggered by a hook so it's as close to instantaneous as
>> possible. Any takers?
>
> The purpose of modularisation was to allow a modular release process.
> I suggest the following:
>
> Each Boost library has its own release schedule.
> When there is a new release of Boost library X, you point the
> submodule in Boost/develop to X/master.

What if a library does not have any releases? I.e. when there is a
rolling release which is always HEAD of master? I think many libraries
are developed this way, or at least this was the case with svn.

I really don't like the idea that I have to do something to bring my
changes into the Boost superproject. It's yet another action that I
have to remember doing some day, and practice shows that merging from
trunk to release is already prone to forgetting.

> Tests are run on Boost/develop.
> To make a new release of Boost, you merge the changes of Boost/develop
> to Boost/master.

Does that mean that X/develop is not tested? Why is it needed then?