Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Update submodules in boost.git
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-05 09:17:22

On 12/5/2013 8:35 AM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 5 December 2013 13:13, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Tim Blechmann wrote:
>>>
>>> this means that no library can depend of features of another library,
>>> which is not part of the stable release or am i missing something?
>>

>> Yes. X/develop can't depend on Y/develop, only on Y/master.
> ----------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> IMHO, that should be displayed in the guidelines in bold.

If library X depends on library Y and needs some feature/fix of library
Y in order to correctly implement some feature/fix of library X it seems
to me that library X/develop can rely on library Y/develop, at least for
individual testing of library X. Holding off the feature/fix of library
X until Y/develop becomes Y/master seems a PITA to me.

I know for my individual testing if my library X/develop needs something
from library Y/develop I pull from library Y/develop in order to test.

In this scenario library X needs to wait for library Y/develop to go to
library Y/master before it goes to library X/master.