Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Some headers are executable
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-07 14:09:36

On 12/07/2013 01:33 PM, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just checked out git and ran b2 headers and noticed that some headers
> have executable attribute. For example:
>
> $ find boost -executable -type f
> boost/pointee.hpp
> boost/assign.hpp
> boost/graph/vf2_sub_graph_iso.hpp
> boost/indirect_reference.hpp
> boost/parameter.hpp
> boost/detail/indirect_traits.hpp
> boost/detail/is_xxx.hpp
> boost/range.hpp
>
> This was not the case with svn. Is this the result of the transition? Can this
> be fixed?

Yes, just change them and and do

git commit -a

The access bits are internally in a git repository part of the git tree
objects which hold filenames,their sha1 and access bits for each file
and subdirectory in a single directory. So they are preserved as you
check them in at each commit.

Someone with the needed write access to all boostorg repositories on
Github could do it for everyone. It could be done as a modified version
of gitflow hotfix using submodules, something like:

make hotfix branches
--------------------

git submodule foreach 'git checkout master'
git submodule foreach 'git checkout -b hotfix/remove-exe-bits'

Do the edits needed
-------------------

find libs/*/include/boost -type f | xargs ls -l | grep rwx | \
sed 's%^.*libs/%libs/%' | xargs chmod 664

.. or any other boost wide changes you need done

Check what you got -- only for the faint hearted
git submodule foreach git diff

If you need to roll back roll back:
git submodule foreach 'git reset --hard origin/master || :'

the '|| :' at the end of the command is to make foreach ignore and
continue if the command fail in a submodule.

Commit it and merge to master
-----------------------------
git submodule foreach 'git commit -am "remove exec bit on headers" || :'
git submodule foreach 'git checkout master'
git submodule foreach 'git merge --no-ff hotfix/remove-exe-bits || :'

the --no-ff ensure you get a merge commit in master, not really needed
for this simple fix I think - but its the gitflow way.

Push it back to github -- only for those who can
git submodule foreach 'git push || :'

Put hotfix into develop,
-------------------
normally it should be the same same as for master, but...
CAUTION!!! Until develop and master is better sync'ed I would not
merge hotfixes into develop as prescribed in git flow.

I really think everyone should get a resent merge between develop and
master in the most sensible place for their library and put all
long-running development into a feature branch, or five of them if needed.

The develop branch should be more for the next thing you plan to put in
master, not long running work.

cherry-pick may be much better than merge for this getting this hotfix
into develop, but I am not sure how well this works in submodule foreach
though. In any case, the conflicts are not unlikely to be messy even
with cherry-pick. It would be something like:

git submodule foreach 'git checkout develop'
git submodule foreach 'git cherry-pick hotfix/remove-exe-bits || :'

Then fix any merge issues or roll back.

You can always make the changes directly in develop after checkout:
find libs/*/include/boost -type f | xargs ls -l | grep rwx | \
sed 's%^.*libs/%libs/%' | xargs chmod 664
git submodule foreach 'git commit -am "remove exec bit on headers" || :'
git submodule foreach 'git push || :' # only for those who can

Clean up:
---------
After you are done, just get rid of the hotfix branch, it is just a
local reference anyway, the shared commits do not go away.

git submodule foreach 'git branch -d hotfix/remove-exe-bits || :'

for reference:

Bjørn