Subject: [boost] Equivalent of "svn update"?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-07 14:45:20

I've followed the instructions at
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoost and everything worked
fine.

I then switched to branch develop in libs/bind and libs/smart_ptr, did
developmental things there. Switched to master, did a merge, switched back
to develop, did more things, git pushed the changes. This also worked fine.

Now, what do I need to do to achieve the equivalent of "svn update", that
is, to update all other libraries to reflect changes that others might have
done in the meantime?

When I do "git status" at the "modular-boost" directory (which I've named
"boost"), I get:

C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>git status
# On branch master
# Changes not staged for commit:
# (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
# (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working
directory)
# (commit or discard the untracked or modified content in submodules)
#
# modified: libs/bind (new commits)
# modified: libs/smart_ptr (new commits)
# modified: tools/build (untracked content)
#
# Untracked files:
# (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
#
# b2.exe
# bin.v2/
# bjam.exe
# boost/
# bootstrap.log
# project-config.jam
no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

That looks correct. Now, what do I need to do to update the master and all
submodules to their latest state? Is it "git submodule update --init", "git
pull", or something else? And would I then need to again checkout develop
(or master, if I happen to be on that branch) in libs/bind and
libs/smart_ptr?