Subject: Re: [boost] Equivalent of "svn update"?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-07 18:35:38

Ahmed Charles wrote:
> 2. Run in the super project:
> git checkout <branch>
> git pull
> git submodule update # this will change bind and smart_ptr to some other
> checkin
> cd libs/bind
> git checkout develop
> cd ../smart_ptr
> git checkout develop

This works, thanks.

Daniel James wrote:
> This manpage contains some useful information, and is a lot shorter than
> the git-submodule page:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitmodules.html
>
> Especially that 'git submodule update --init --merge' will merge your
> changes with the update.

By the description, it looks like using --merge in the above procedure will
leave libs/bind and libs/smart_ptr on develop, but I'm not sure what it will
do to the rest; the alternative is for me to add update = merge to
[submodule "bind"] and [submodule "smart_ptr"] in .gitmodules.

Not sure if this is worth the bother. It's not that hard to manually
checkout these two after update. Let's see first what the testing
infrastructure will do. :-)