Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Community maintained libraries
From: Rob Stewart (robertstewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-07 21:12:52

On Dec 7, 2013, at 2:59 PM, "Niall Douglas" <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> That's evolution of a component, not forking which would involve multiple libraries being taken in a new direction together.
>>
>> You previously used the phrase, "those interested enough fork a library", but when I challenge your point, you decide that forking
>> requires many libraries taken elsewhere?
>
> I'll copy and paste from
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development):
>
> "The term often implies not merely a development branch, but a split in the developer community, a form of schism"

That fits my example just fine. A second person thought Signals would be better if modified. The original maintainer didn't want to change it. Thus, a fork of Signals was created and we now have Signals2 alongside (the now-deprecated, IIRC) Signals.

> Forking isn't usually about software, it's about differences in the philosophy behind the software.

Yep

[snip]

> Does this improve your understanding?

Thanks for all of that, but my "understanding" comment was WRT your "significant patches" commentary. (It's probably not productive to revisit that anyway.)

___
Rob