Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Write permission to branch
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-08 14:35:55

On 12/8/2013 1:22 PM, Bjørn Roald wrote:
> On 12/08/2013 05:54 PM, John Maddock wrote:
> ... unless there's some way to convert local
>> modifications into a fork?
>
> The fork on GitHub is just a clone of the repository, much like the one
> you have changes in. It is a so-called /bare/ repository, i.e.: there
> are no checked out files - just the .git folder content. Since you are
> the owner of this repository, you can push your feature/whatever branch
> changes to it.

I created a local branch of a particular Boost repository giving it a
descriptive name. This was successful.

I then tried creating a repository in GitHub under my own name. This was
successful and a 'master' branch was created for it. The 'master' branch
is empty except for a readme.md file which GitHub commits to it.

I then tried pushing my local branch to my GitHub url/master remote just
created but was not able to do this. I am using TortoiseGit on Windows.
For whatever reason TortoiseGit refuses to recognize that I have a
'master' branch of my new GitHub repository. It says:

"Don't know what will push because unknown branch 'myremote/master'"

Obviously, being a git novice, I am missing something about git. I
thought one could push any local repository to any remote repository as
long as one had write permission to the remote repository.