Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Write permission to branch
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-08 16:49:45

On 12/08/2013 08:35 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
> On 12/8/2013 1:22 PM, Bjørn Roald wrote:
>> On 12/08/2013 05:54 PM, John Maddock wrote:
>> ... unless there's some way to convert local
>>> modifications into a fork?
>>
>> The fork on GitHub is just a clone of the repository, much like the one
>> you have changes in. It is a so-called /bare/ repository, i.e.: there
>> are no checked out files - just the .git folder content. Since you are
>> the owner of this repository, you can push your feature/whatever branch
>> changes to it.
>
> I created a local branch of a particular Boost repository giving it a
> descriptive name. This was successful.
>
> I then tried creating a repository in GitHub under my own name. This was
> successful and a 'master' branch was created for it. The 'master' branch
> is empty except for a readme.md file which GitHub commits to it.
>
> I then tried pushing my local branch to my GitHub url/master remote just
> created but was not able to do this. I am using TortoiseGit on Windows.
> For whatever reason TortoiseGit refuses to recognize that I have a
> 'master' branch of my new GitHub repository. It says:
>
> "Don't know what will push because unknown branch 'myremote/master'"

Are you using TortoiseGit, in that case see if there is a window showing
the git command lines it uses. Post them.

I think you get that error form some TortoiseGit layer, does not look
like something I expect from the comand line push, but I may be wrong.
In any case the branch 'myremote/master' part give me a hunch of what
the problem is. If myremote is a reference to your remote repository
fork at GitHub, then git expect:

git push myremote master

not

git push myremote/master

which uses the default remote, probably origin, so it tries

git push origin myremote/master

wich causes it to think myremote/master is a branch you want to push but
it can't find.

HTH

--
Bjørn
> Obviously, being a git novice, I am missing something about git. I
> thought one could push any local repository to any remote repository as
> long as one had write permission to the remote repository.
You should be able to, does not necessarily make any sense though ;-)
--
bjørn