Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Write permission to branch
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-08 19:48:39

On 12/8/2013 6:18 PM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> On 09/12/2013 00:00, Edward Diener wrote:
>
>> The result is:
>>
>> Pushing to https://github.com/eldiener/mplsun.git
>> To https://github.com/eldiener/mplsun.git
>> ! [rejected] suncc -> master (non-fast-forward)
>> error: failed to push some refs to
>> 'https://github.com/eldiener/mplsun.git'
>> hint: Updates were rejected because a pushed branch tip is behind its
>> remote
>> hint: counterpart. Check out this branch and merge the remote changes
>> hint: (e.g. 'git pull') before pushing again.
>> hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details
>>
>> What does it mean that a "pushed branch tip is behind its remote" ? All
>> I am trying to do is 'push' this repository onto an almost entirely
>> empty remote repository. How hard can that be with git ?
>
> You're trying to push the local "suncc" branch to the remote "master"
> branch.
> There is already some history in the remote master branch, and your
> local suncc branch is not a descendant of that history. To prevent
> history rewriting, git is therefore refusing to branch.

How was I supposed to interpret this reality from "Updates were rejected
because a pushed branch tip is behind its remote" <g> ?

> If you want to erase whatever is on the remote branch (which you
> probably do, since it only contains a dummy commit), force the push with
> -f.

That worked ! Thanks !

Git is still very strange to me but hopefully I will get used to its
peculiarities. It does seem very flexible but very enigmatic sometimes
in its so-called explanations.