Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Write permission to branch
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-08 21:28:13

On 9/12/2013 13:48, Quoth Edward Diener:
>> If you want to erase whatever is on the remote branch (which you
>> probably do, since it only contains a dummy commit), force the push with
>> -f.
>
> That worked ! Thanks !
>
> Git is still very strange to me but hopefully I will get used to its
> peculiarities. It does seem very flexible but very enigmatic sometimes
> in its so-called explanations.

It's easier if you create your personal GH repository as a clone/fork of
the boostorg one that you're intending to modify, instead of making a
new empty one (as you did). (It also works better with GH's cross-repo
tracking.)

If your local one was also cloned from the same source you should
theoretically just have to add your GH repo as a remote and everything
should mesh together nicely. (Ideally your GH repo should be your main
"origin" remote but it doesn't really matter as they're all just sibling
names; you just need to remember which is which when pushing/pulling.)