Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Write permission to branch
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-08 23:19:58

On 12/8/2013 9:28 PM, Gavin Lambert wrote:
> On 9/12/2013 13:48, Quoth Edward Diener:
>>> If you want to erase whatever is on the remote branch (which you
>>> probably do, since it only contains a dummy commit), force the push with
>>> -f.
>>
>> That worked ! Thanks !
>>
>> Git is still very strange to me but hopefully I will get used to its
>> peculiarities. It does seem very flexible but very enigmatic sometimes
>> in its so-called explanations.
>
> It's easier if you create your personal GH repository as a clone/fork of
> the boostorg one that you're intending to modify, instead of making a
> new empty one (as you did). (It also works better with GH's cross-repo
> tracking.)

I assume there must be a way to do this on GH. Also I really don't know
what the difference is when one creates another repository as a fork as
opposed to cloning. Does the fork contain something the clone does not ?

> If your local one was also cloned from the same source you should
> theoretically just have to add your GH repo as a remote and everything
> should mesh together nicely.

This is what I tried but since my GH repo had history git didn't like
that. How odd ! Why can't it just update the history when one does a
'push' ? Why does it matter if their is previous history ? As long as
their are no conflicts should not a git 'push' just work ? There is much
in git that says things should be simple and just work but actually it
seems it has much more checks/balances than svn had.

I should have just asked for write access to the Boost MPL git
repository and then I could have pretty easily created a remote branch
somewhere in Boost for my own testing I think.

> (Ideally your GH repo should be your main
> "origin" remote but it doesn't really matter as they're all just sibling
> names; you just need to remember which is which when pushing/pulling.)

I assume a 'remote' name is a combination of a URL and a branch and the
name does not matter as long as it is unique for a given local repository.