Subject: Re: [boost] Git: maintaining super-project
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-09 01:50:45

On 5/12/2013 10:13, Quoth Beman Dawes:
> The eventual goal is an automated (i.e. continuous integration) approach
> that detects changes to each library's public repo master branch, updates a
> local working copy of the super-project (on a test slave) to the new
> master head, then if and only if acceptance conditions are met, commits and
> pushes the super-project. The maintainer(s) are automatically notified of
> acceptance or rejection, with reasons.
>
> The conditions for acceptance would include passing tests (or markups),
> inspection, etc.

Given that (as I understand it) the super-project master was produced
from the SVN release branch and develop from the SVN trunk, I assume
that means that:

1. the future automated process you describe above would be updating
only "develop" on the super-project (but from "master" on the sub-projects).

2. the super-project "master" will be updated manually by the release
managers, either periodically or just when it gets close to release
time, from some combination of prior sub-project "releases" (aka master
commits) that appears to be stable according to testing from "develop".

Is that correct?