Subject: Re: [boost] A proposal for superproject structure and testing
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-09 09:00:23

On Monday 09 December 2013 15:50:05 Peter Dimov wrote:

> We'll also need a procedure for the case in which a submodule maintainer is
> unresponsive or missing. The submodule organization differs from the old SVN
> world in that the superproject can only refer to a sumbodule commit, so the
> superproject release branch can't, for example, revert a problematic commit
> from a submodule.
>
> In this case, a release manager would have to create a release branch in the
> submodule as well, fix things there, and then point boostorg:master to that
> branch.

I think it would be more productive to just fix the problem in develop and
then in master of the submodule. The Community team initiative suggested by
Beman is supposed to address that case. It would not necessarily be the
release manager's job to do the right fix, but rather the community (or more
precisely, those of the community who possibly know the library better).